- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
BEHR PREMIUM® Wood Stain & Finish Stripper No. 64
A cleaner specifically formulated to remove existing oil & latex coatings. This effective product strips away sealers, waterproofers and 100% acrylic stains and finishes. Perfect for wood decks, siding and shingles.
- Wood Stain & Finish Stripper No. 64 - MSDS
WHERE TO USE
Exterior latex, oil-based and 100% acrylic coatings on Wood Decks, Porches & Patios, Siding, Fences, Shakes and Shingles.
Coverage: 50-150 Sq. Ft
Shake Well Before Use
Soap & Water Clean-Up
Removes loose wood fibers without sanding. Not for interior use or on aluminum surfaces. May harm bare metal or painted surfaces.
(The following steps and products are recommended for best results.)
- Be sure to have a source for water, hose with nozzle and stiff bristle broom or brush and a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner.
- DO NOT THIN PRODUCT. Do not apply in direct sunlight or on hot surfaces. Dampen nearby foliage with water and cover with plastic drop cloths.
- Wear protective clothing, goggles, acid resistant gloves, and NIOSH approved Respirator
- Conduct a small test patch in an inconspicuous area to ensure product performance.
- Prevent all rinse solution from entering storm drains.
- Must apply between 40-90˚F (4.5-32˚C). Pour BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper directly onto surface and apply liberally using a nylon/poly brush or roller. Natural bristle brushes or lambs wool applicators are not recommended.
- Due to product thickness, DO NOT use pump, paint or other sprayers. Product will clog tip, resulting in leaking and dripping.
- Always keep surface wet by misting with water and re-apply NO. 64 if drying occurs. Finish will begin to lift from the surface. Repeat process as needed to keep the surface wet during the removal period. Most deteriorated finishes will start to lift after about 5-45 minutes. The coating should easily rinse off when ready.
- When the finish starts to lift, scrub the surface using a stiff bristle broom or brush. Rinse thoroughly with water from garden hose using nozzle at normal pressure, or use a pressure washer at a low setting (500-1200 PSI). DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE as this may harm the wood.
- If some of the old finish remains on the surface, repeat application procedure or spot sand as needed.
- Follow up with a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner to remove stains, rejuvenate natural wood color and to neutralize the stripping action.
- Surfaces must be thoroughly dry before applying any type of new finish, except those finishes that can be applied to dampened wood. Allow the wood to dry for a minimum of 24 hours in warm, dry weather.
- Biodegradable. Properly dispose of all soiled rags. To recycle or properly dispose of paint in your community, contact your household refuse collection service. PROTECT FROM FREEZING.
If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
WARNING! Sanding or scraping pressure treated lumber may be hazardous; wear appropriate protection.
DANGER! Corrosive. Will cause eye burns and permanent tissue damage. Harmful if swallowed. Contains Sodium Hydroxide. May cause permanent skin damage and severe respiratory system irritation. ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Only use this product outdoors. Avoid contact with skin. Wear protective clothing, acid resistant rubber gloves and eye goggles. If properly used, a respirator may offer additional protection.
FIRST AID: Eye and skin contact: In case of eye or skin contact, flush immediately with water for 20 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation or symptoms of overexposure persist. If inhaled, move to fresh air. If swallowed, DO NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Give water to dilute material in stomach. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
CAUTION: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN – DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
Behr Process Corporation warrants that this product meets Behr's manufacturing specifications. if this product does not meet these specifications, Behr Process Corporation will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product to you or refund the purchase price of this product. This guarantee excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for application or removal of any product; or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).