- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Concrete Stain
This product provides the variation of color found in some natural stone. Different concrete composition, texture, surface imperfections and application technique will affect the finished appearance. For a uniform solid color, use BEHR PREMIUM® SOLID COLOR CONCRETE STAIN NO. 800.
- BEHR PREMIUM® Semi-Transparent Concrete Stain No. 850 - MSDS
Where to Use
- For uncoated and unsealed, properly prepared Interior or Exterior Patios, Pavers, Driveways*, Walkways, Garage Floors* and other concrete floors.
*The composition of concrete varies; therefore, the lack of proper surface preparation and/or over application can lead to automobile tires lifting the product from the surface.
CAUTION: Stained surfaces may become slippery when wet. Use caution when walking on surface when moisture is present. DO NOT use on areas subject to hydrostatic pressure.
(The following steps are recommended for best results.)
- New concrete must cure for a minimum of 30 days.
- Remove old coating or sealer, if present, using a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY PAINT STRIPPER NO. 992. Follow all label instructions.
- Test: Sprinkle a few drops of water onto the surface. If water is quickly absorbed, the surface is ready. If not absorbed, re-etch.
- For proper penetration and adhesion of topcoat, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY CLEANER & ETCHER NO. 991 to clean and etch the surface. Follow all label instructions.
- Remove mildew stains with a mildew stain removing product. Follow all label instructions.
- Apply a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY BONDING PRIMER NO. 880 to increase adhesion of topcoat to the surface. Follow all label instructions.
- Do not thin. Intermix cans of same products to ensure color uniformity. STIR thoroughly before and during application. Use product when temperature is between 50–90°F (10-32°C). Do not apply in direct sunlight. Apply to dry concrete. Do not apply if rain or heavy dew is expected within 24 hours.
- Apply stain in small concrete sections approximately 4' by 4' (1.2 m x 1.2 m). Work quickly and feather edges. Apply with a high quality pump sprayer at a fine spray setting using a circular motion. Immediately after spraying, back-roll with a 3/8" nap roller or pad applicator to achieve a more even appearance. Apply at a spread rate of 250-400 sq. ft. (23-37 m2) per gallon depending on the porosity and texture of the surface.
- Allow first coat to dry for 4 hours before deciding if a second coat is necessary. An additional coat will provide a darker and more uniform color. Apply second coat at a spread rate of 400-500 sq. ft. (37-46 m2) per gallon.
Note : Horizontal surfaces may be subject to premature wear. Periodic touch-ups may be necessary.
- For added protection, use a product such as BEHR® WET-LOOK SEALER NO. 985 for a high-gloss finish or a product such as BEHR LOW-LUSTRE SEALER NO. 986 for a low-gloss finish. Allow stain at least 4 hours to dry before topcoating. Follow all label instructions.
- Dries to touch in 1 hour. Longer dry time required in cooler temperatures and in higher humidity.
- Surfaces may be subjected to light foot traffic after 24 hours. Allow 72 hours before subjecting surface to heavy foot traffic, repositioning furniture or automotive traffic. Park tires on corrugated cardboard for 7 days after applying stain. After 30 days, clean as needed with a mild, non-abrasive liquid detergent.
- Clean with soap and water.
- Properly dispose of all soiled rags and protect unused product from freezing.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused paint, contact your household refuse collection service.
LIMITED WARRANTY BEHR PROCESS CORPORATION warrants that this product meets Behr’s manufacturing specifications. If this product does not meet these specifications, Behr Process Corporation will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product to you or refund the purchase price of this product. This guarantee excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for application or removal of any product; or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT OPEN CONTAINER WITHOUT READING INSTRUCTIONS. PROTECT FROM FREEZING.
DO NOT USE WITHOUT THE ADDITION OF TINTING COLORANTS
† WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
WARNING! This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
WARNING! IRRITANT! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. CONTAINS: ETHYLENE GLYCOL. MAY CAUSE EYE, NOSE AND THROAT IRRITATION. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN AND EYES AND AVOID BREATHING OF VAPORS AND SPRAY MIST. WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. To avoid breathing vapors and spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air. If properly used, a respirator (NIOSH approved for organic vapor with P series particulate pre-filter) may offer additional protection; obtain professional advice before using. A dust mask does not provide protection against vapors. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash thoroughly after handling. Close container after each use. FIRST AID: If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance immediately. In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention; for skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water. If swallowed, get medical attention immediately.
CAUTION: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN - DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).