- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
BEHR PREMIUM® 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kit
BEHR PREMIUM® 2-PART EPOXY GARAGE FLOOR COATING is a decorative high-performance, water-based concrete floor coating. It provides long-lasting protection against motor oil, gasoline, antifreeze, brake fluid, salt, and hot tire pick-up. This durable semi-gloss finish is easy-to-clean and also resists scuffing, fading, cracking, peeling and blistering. It requires no priming and once mixed, is ready for use, allowing up to 4 hours of working time (pot life). BEHR PREMIUM® 2-PART EPOXY GARAGE FLOOR COATING KIT is formulated to withstand the harsh elements common to most garage floors, new & old, while maintaining an easy-to-clean, showroom quality appearance.
Product Introductory Video
Where to Use
- Interior Garage Floors protected from the sun and other interior concrete surfaces.
Where Not to Use
Not for use on exterior surfaces.
- DO NOT apply on surfaces subject to hydrostatic pressure. All interior concrete floors are subject to possible moisture vapor rising from under the concrete, which may cause coating failure. Test for moisture by taping a 3' x 3' (1 x 1 m) piece of plastic directly to the concrete using duct tape on all edges. Allow the plastic to sit for 24 hours. If water droplets appear on the inside of the plastic after 24 hours or if the concrete is damp, the surface contains moisture and the floor should not be painted. Moisture problem must be corrected before coating.
- DO NOT apply over surfaces that have been treated with a concrete sealer or waterproofer. Test the surface by dripping a small amount of water onto the surface. If water beads and continues to stay on top, it indicates that a sealer is present and the BEHR PREMIUM™ 2-PART EPOXY may not adhere. The sealer must be removed before using this product. After stripping, re-test the surface for water absorbency.
- DO NOT use over loose or peeling previously painted surfaces. Test for loose, flaking paint by cutting an “X” in the paint with a single edge razor blade. Apply a piece of duct tape over the “X” and press firmly, then pull it off with an abrupt action. If the tape does not pull the paint from the surface, it can be coated. If the existing paint is removed, the loose paint should be removed down to a sound substrate using a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY PAINT STRIPPER NO. 992.
- DO NOT use over loose or damaged concrete or if concrete dust is present. If the concrete is loose, chipping (spalled), or has concrete dust present, the coating will not adhere properly. Test for loose, flaking concrete by pressing a piece of masking or cellophane tape at various places, then pull it off with an abrupt action. If the tape does not pull the concrete from the surface, it can be coated. If the existing concrete is removed, the loose concrete must be removed down to a sound substrate. Loose or damaged concrete and cracks must be filled with a suitable concrete based patching material. Remove concrete dust using using a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY DEGREASER & CLEANER NO. 990. Follow all label instructions.
(The following steps are recommended for best results.)
For New or Uncoated Concrete
- New concrete must cure for a minimum of 30 days.
- The surface must be clean, dry and free of dust, dirt, grease, oil, curing agents and all other contaminants.
- For proper penetration and adhesion of topcoat, use BEHR® CONCRETE CLEANER & ETCHER (included in kit). Wear protective clothing, eye goggles and acid resistant rubber gloves and footwear. Dissolve all concentrated powder with 1 gallon (4 litres) of warm water in a plastic container and stir. Pre-wet the surface with water. Apply all solution using a plastic watering can. One gallon of dissolved solution will etch and clean approximately 200-250 sq. ft. (19-23 m2). Allow product to stand for 10 minutes, then scrub vigorously using a stiff plastic brush.
- Rinse surface thoroughly using a garden hose with the nozzle set in a stream pattern or pressure wash for best results. Allow the surface to dry completely.
For Previously Coated Concrete (Oil or Water Base Finishes)
- Previously painted concrete may be repainted only if it has excellent adhesion to the floor.
- Remove any loose or peeling paint by sanding (medium grit paper) or wire brushing the surface. To completely remove all existing coating, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY PAINT STRIPPER NO. 992.
- Dull glossy surfaces by scuff-sanding or using a chemical deglosser.
- The surface must be clean, dry and free of dust, dirt, grease, oil or other contaminants. Use BEHR CONCRETE CLEANER & ETCHER (Included in kit) to clean and etch the surface. Follow all label instructions.
- Rinse surface thoroughly using a garden hose with the nozzle set in a stream pattern. Allow the surface to dry completely.
- Excess residue may interfere with the adhesion of the BEHR PREMIUM™ 2-PART EPOXY GARAGE FLOOR COATING. Wipe your fingers over the clean floor to check for dust or powder. If residue is visible on your fingers, repeat the rinsing step. Remove excess water with a squeegee or mop.
- Remove any remaining oil or grease spots on your concrete using a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY DEGREASER & CLEANER NO. 990. Follow all label instructions.
- Note: The floor must be thoroughly cleaned, completely rinsed and dry for the coating to adhere properly to the surface.
Mixing of Floor Coating
- Remove all the items from inside the container.
- Pour Activator into liquid side of container and stir thoroughly for at least 5 minutes or until you achieve a uniform color.
- DO NOT leave container in direct sunlight and keep lid closed when product is not in use.
- DO NOT mix color flakes with epoxy. Toss color flakes onto wet film.
- This product must be used within 4 hours of initial mixing (pot life).
- DO NOT THIN PRODUCT.
- Use product when air and surface temperatures are between 50-95°F. (10-35°C).
- Do all trim areas first using the 2" (50 mm) trim brush provided.
- Apply an even coat using a 3/8" nap roller cover at a spread rate not to exceed 200-250 sq. ft. (19-23 m2) per gallon.
- Maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks.
- While only one coat is recommended for most applications, a second coat may be applied for increased sheen and optimum performance (apply second coat in the opposite direction from the first coat).
- Optional (Use of Decorative Flakes): If planning to use the color decorative flakes, apply BEHR PREMIUM 2-PART EPOXY GARAGE FLOOR COATING in 3' X 3' (1 x 1 m) sections. Immediately toss the color flakes randomly like “rain fall” directly onto the wet painted surface. Be careful not to over-apply the amount of flakes in any one area.
- Dries to touch in two hours at 77°F and 50% humidity.
- The floor may be subjected to light foot traffic after 6-8 hours. Allow 24 hours before subjecting surface to heavy foot traffic or repositioning furniture. Allow at least 3 days drying before subjecting painted surface to automobile tires.
- Additional dry time is needed in cooler temperatures and higher humidity.
- Premature heavy traffic will cause coating failure, which may require spot recoating.
- Wait 7 days before rinsing or cleaning with a mild detergent.
- Clean up brushes, roller covers and tools immediately after use with soap and water. Properly dispose of all soiled rags. For disposal of empty containers and unused paint, contact your household refuse collection service.
LIMITED WARRANTY BEHR PROCESS CORPORATION warrants that this product meets Behr’s manufacturing specifications. If this product does not meet these specifications, Behr Process Corporation will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product to you or refund the purchase price of this product. This guarantee excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for application or removal of any product; or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
† WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
DANGER! CONTAINS SULFAMIC ACID. CAN BURN EYES AND SKIN. SEVERELY HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED. AVOID BREATHING IN DUST, MIST OR VAPORS. USE ONLY IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. MAY CAUSE COUGHING, WHEEZING, THROAT IRRITATION, SHORTNESS OF BREATH, HEADACHE, NAUSEA OR VOMITING. DO NOT MIX CONTENTS WITH CHLORINE BLEACH OR ANY OTHER CLEANING PRODUCT OR DETERGENT. TO DO SO MAY EXPOSE YOU TO DANGEROUS GASES. MIX ONLY IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS. Wear protective clothing, eyegoggles and acid resistant rubber gloves and footwear. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. FIRST AID: If Swallowed: Do not induce vomiting. Have victim drink lots of milk or water if conscious. Get medical attention immediately! Eye and Skin Contact: Flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes; spread eyelids and occasionally flush underneath them. Get medical attention immediately! Remove contaminated clothing and shoes immediately. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. If experiencing Respiratory Discomfort (e.g., throat irritation, coughing, wheezing): Remove victim to fresh air. Get medical attention immediately!
CAUTION: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN - DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).