- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
Solid Color House & Fence Wood Stain
An advanced exterior stain, combining the best features of oil and latex for superior color retention, adhesion, penetration and durability. It provides a film that is highly resistant to cracking, peeling, blistering, weathering, chalking and erosion. It cleans up easily with soap and water and can be applied over water-based or oil-based paint or primer.
DO NOT USE WITHOUT THE ADDITION OF TINTING COLORANTS. Protect from freezing.
WHERE TO USE
Recommended for smooth or rough sawn exterior vertical wood surfaces such as: Plywood, Fences, Patio Covers, Shingles, Shakes, Siding, Laminates, Barns and Masonry & Stucco Surfaces. DO NOT USE ON HORIZONTAL SURFACES SUBJECT TO FOOT TRAFFIC.
Must Prep Before Staining
Spread Rate: 1st Coat 200-400 Sq.Ft.; 2nd Coat 250-500 Sq. Ft.
Dry Time: Dry to Touch: 2-3 Hrs.; Recoat: 6-8 Hrs.
Soap & Water Clean-Up
(The following steps and products are recommended for best results.)
- Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper to remove loose wood fibers, latex, oil-based and 100% acrylic coatings on new or weathered wood.
- BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner MUST be used following NO. 64 to clean, brighten & neutralize wood.
- When NO. 64 is not needed, use a product such as NO. 63 to clean and brighten the wood surface and to remove light to medium exterior stains caused by mold, mildew, algae & fungus.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before coating. On new wood, use a product such as NO. 63 to remove mill glaze and open the pores of the wood. Lightly sand to remove remaining wood fibers/fuzz.
- Must apply between 40-90˚F (4.5-32˚C). Do not use if rain is expected within 24 hours. The wood surface must be completely dry before application.
- No primer needed on most woods. However, Redwood, Cedar, Cypress and other “bleeding” woods contain water soluble extractives which may cause discoloration of white and pastel colors; therefore prime the above type woods with one coat of a product such as BEHR PREMIUM PLUS® NO. 436 Exterior Multi-Purpose Primer & Sealer.
- See label for additional instructions. Intermix multiple containers to ensure color uniformity
- Apply with a nylon/polyester brush. On rough-sawn or textured wood apply with a 3/4” (19 mm) long nap roller or high quality airless sprayer.
- For airless spraying use a .015 - .019" tip. Pump Sprayer not recommended. Always back-brush or back-roll during all application methods.
- Keep a wet edge to reduce lapping and help control color uniformity.
- Over application of stain will lead to surface failure including peeling and cracking. Avoid applying stain too heavily.
- Two coats may be necessary for complete hiding. Apply a thinner second coat after the first coat has thoroughly dried.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused product, contact your household refuse collection service.
If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
WARNING! Sanding or scraping pressure treated lumber may be hazardous; wear appropriate protection.
A quality product that contains a mildewcide will assist in providing a finish that is resistant to mildew, provided that all existing mildew is removed prior to application. While this product does contain a mildewcide, it will not prevent mildew growth.
WARNING! This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
WARNING! IRRITANT! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. CONTAINS: ETHYLENE GLYCOL. MAY CAUSE EYE, NOSE AND THROAT IRRITATION. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN AND EYES AND AVOID BREATHING OF VAPORS AND SPRAY MIST. WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. To avoid breathing vapors and spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air. If properly used, a respirator (NIOSH approved for organic vapor with P series particulate prefilter) may offer additional protection; obtain professional advice before using. A dust mask does not provide protection against vapors. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash thoroughly after handling. Close container after each use.
FIRST AID: If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance immediately. In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15-20 minutes and get medical attention; for skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water. If swallowed, get medical attention immediately.
CAUTION: Keep out of reach of children - do not take internally.
Behr Process Corporation warrants customer satisfaction with this product for 10 years on vertical surfaces from date of purchase, when applied to a properly prepared surface in accordance with the label directions. Color fading and slight natural graying of the wood may occur during this period, especially in areas exposed to heavy foot traffic or excessive weather. If you are not satisfied with this product, Behr will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the purchase price. This warranty is made to the original residential product purchaser and is not transferable. Behr will not be responsible for (1) labor or the cost of labor for removal or application of any product or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based upon breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).