- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
BEHR PREMIUM® Concrete & Masonry Cleaner & Etcher No. 991
BEHR PREMIUM® CONCRETE & MASONRY CLEANER & ETCHER is part of the BEHR PREMIUM family of Concrete & Masonry Prep products. It is an interior/exterior, 2-in-1 cleaner and etcher specifically formulated to prepare the surface prior to coating. It is designed to clean and etch bare concrete and masonry surfaces to improve penetration and adhesion of paints, stains and sealers. This biodegradable and easy water clean-up product will remove grease, oil, auto fluids, rust and red clay stains from any concrete and masonry surface. BEHR NO. 991 is ideal for use on uncoated surfaces such as: garage floors, driveways, walkways, patios, basement floors and walls.
- Concrete & Masonry Cleaner & Etcher No. 991 - MSDS
Where to Use
- Use on Interior/Exterior uncoated surfaces such as: Garage Floors, Driveways, Walkways, Patios, Basement Floors and Concrete Walls.
- Removes grease, oil, auto fluids, rust and red clay stains.
- DO NOT USE ON MARBLE, GRANITE, TERRAZZO, COLORED CONCRETE, BRASS, BRONZE or COPPER.
- NOTE: If etching is not desired, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM™ CONCRETE & MASONRY DEGREASER & CLEANER NO. 990.
CAUTION: Surfaces may become slippery when wet. Use caution when walking on surface when moisture is present.
(The following steps are recommended for best results.)
- New concrete must cure for a minimum of 30 days.
- Wipe up all excess oil and grease spills.
- Scrape and sweep away dirt and loose contaminates on the surface.
- Completely strip all existing coatings prior to use. Be sure to rinse thoroughly before treating with BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY CLEANER & ETCHER NO. 991.
- Protect grass and any nearby plants by dampening these areas with water and covering with plastic drop cloths.
- Prevent all rinse solution from entering storm drains.
- DO NOT MIX IN A METAL CONTAINER. Use a plastic mixing container, large enough to hold up to 2 gallons of diluted solution.
- Use full strength on hard to clean interior/exterior stained surfaces and smooth concrete. Always work in a well-ventilated area.
- For new and lightly stained concrete or to etch galvanized metal, use a diluted solution of 1 part NO. 991 to 1 part water (1:1 dilution).
- Stir diluted solution thoroughly. Avoid splashing.
- Wear protective clothing, goggles and acid resistant rubber gloves & boots.
- Avoid splashing. Spraying is not recommended.
- One gallon of full strength product will etch and clean 150-200 sq. ft. (14-18 m2). One gallon of diluted solution will etch and clean 300-400 sq. ft. (28-37 m2). Actual coverage depends on porosity and severity of surface.
- For best results, use a plastic watering can to evenly distribute product or spread product using a stiff bristled, non-metal brush or broom.
- On sloped surfaces, start at the lowest point working up to the highest point.
- Apply BEHR PREMIUM™ CONCRETE & MASONRY CLEANER & ETCHER NO. 991 to a dry surface for best results.
- Allow product to stand for 10-20 minutes then scrub vigorously.
- Do not let product dry on the surface.
- Rinse surface thoroughly with fresh water while scrubbing at the same time to properly remove all remaining residue. Pressure wash for best results. Remove excess water with a non-metal squeegee or mop.
NOTE: Heavily stained areas or older stains may require an additional application.
- The surface is ready when it feels like medium grit sandpaper and no residue or loose concrete remains on the surface.
- Thoroughly rinse all surfaces, clothing and tools with fresh water after use.
- If product comes in contact with painted or finished surfaces, rinse immediately with fresh water.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused paint, contact your household refuse collection service.
LIMITED WARRANTY BEHR PROCESS CORPORATION warrants that this product meets BEHR’S manufacturing specifications. If this product does not meet these specifications, BEHR PROCESS CORPORATION will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product to you or refund the purchase price of this product. This guarantee excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for application or removal of any product; or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT OPEN CONTAINER WITHOUT READING INSTRUCTIONS. PROTECT FROM FREEZING.
† WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. Contact the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
DANGER! CORROSIVE! WILL CAUSE EYE BURNS AND PERMANENT TISSUE DAMAGE. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. CONTAINS ORGANIC SALT. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN. MAY CAUSE PERMANENT SKIN DAMAGE AND SEVERE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM IRRITATION. USE WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Wear protective clothing, acid resistant rubber gloves and eye goggles. Avoid breathing spray mist. If properly used, a respirator may offer additional protection. FIRST AID: Eye and skin contact: In case of eye or skin contact, flush immediately with water for 20 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation or symptoms of overexposure persist. If inhaled, move to fresh air. If swallowed, DO NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Give water to dilute material in stomach. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
CAUTION: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN – DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).