- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
BEHR PREMIUM® Concrete & Masonry Bonding Primer No. 880
A high-performance, ready-to-use, water-based pre-treatment for porous concrete, designed specifically to promote optimum adhesion. This epoxy pre-treatment, when properly applied, provides a sound surface with excellent resistance to water, alkali and efflorescence. It improves the adhesion of paints and stains by binding together loose particles. The primer will appear slightly milky in the container; however, it will dry to a clear, natural look. This specially formulated bonding primer can be used to improve bonding whenever a masonry type coating, such as a BEHR PREMIUM® PORCH & PATIO FLOOR PAINT, BEHR PREMIUM® SOLID COLOR CONCRETE STAIN, BEHR PREMIUM® SEMI-TRANSPARENT CONCRETE STAIN or BEHR PREMIUM® 1-PART EPOXY CONCRETE & GARAGE FLOOR PAINT is to be applied.
- Concrete & Masonry Bonding Primer No. 880 - MSDS
Where to Use
- Use on uncoated Interior or Exterior surfaces such as: Concrete, Masonry, Stucco, Cinder Block and any Porous Stone or Brick. Not designed for use on wood, metal or silicone treated surfaces. Do not use on coated surfaces. Use only on porous surfaces. NOTE: SOME SURFACES MAY APPEAR SLIGHTLY DARKER AFTER PRODUCT DRIES.
CAUTION: Surfaces may become slippery when wet. Use caution when walking on surface when moisture is present.
(The following steps are recommended for best results.)
- New concrete must cure for a minimum of 30 days prior to priming.
- Patch all holes and cracks and allow to dry. For touch-ups where surface coatings have failed, completely remove any loose or peeling paint.
- Do not apply over previously coated surfaces. To completely strip previous coatings, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM™ CONCRETE & MASONRY PAINT STRIPPER NO. 992. Follow all label instructions.
- For proper penetration and adhesion of primer, use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM CONCRETE & MASONRY CLEANER & ETCHER NO. 991 to clean and etch the surface. Follow all label instructions.
- DO NOT THIN. Stir primer thoroughly before and occasionally during application.
- Use product when air and surface temperatures are between 50-90°F (10-32°C).
- Apply using a high quality 3/8-1/2" nap roller, nylon/polyester brush, pad applicator or airless sprayer (.015 spray tip) at a spread rate of 350-500 sq. ft. (33-37 m2) per gallon. Initial foaming will disappear upon drying.
- Dries to touch in approximately 2 hours. Longer dry time required in cooler temperatures and higher humidity. Must apply a topcoat after at least 4 hours, but before 30 days. Primer will remain tacky until topcoat is applied.
- Use any commercial brush cleaner. Note: Do not use soap and water to clean brushes or other applicators as they will become gummy.
- Properly dispose of all soiled rags and protect unused product from freezing.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused paint, contact your household refuse collection service.
LIMITED WARRANTY BEHR PROCESS CORPORATION warrants that this product meets Behr’s manufacturing specifications. If this product does not meet these specifications, Behr Process Corporation will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product to you or refund the purchase price of this product. This guarantee excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for application or removal of any product; or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT OPEN CAN WITHOUT READING INSTRUCTIONS. PRODUCT DRIES CLEAR - IT WILL LOOK MILKY IN CAN AND AT INITIAL APPLICATION.
WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
WARNING! This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
WARNING! IRRITANT! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. CONTAINS: ETHYLENE GLYCOL. MAY CAUSE EYE, NOSE AND THROAT IRRITATION. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN AND EYES AND AVOID BREATHING OF VAPORS AND SPRAY MIST. WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. To avoid breathing vapors and spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air. If properly used, a respirator (NIOSH approved for organic vapor with P series particulate pre-filter) may offer additional protection; obtain professional advice before using. A dust mask does not provide protection against vapors. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash thoroughly after handling. Close container after each use. FIRST AID: If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance immediately. In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention; for skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water. If swallowed, get medical attention immediately.
CAUTION: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN - DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
To consult with a BEHR Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).