- find your color
- Visit the Behr Color Centers
- Buy BEHR® Color Samples
- Learn About Color
- Colorfully, BEHR™ Blog
- be inspired
- Visit Our Style Galleries
- Décor Elements
- Architectural Features
- Kids' Spaces
- Architectural Style
- Outdoor Living
- Exterior Elements
- Browse Our Design Library
- start your project
- BEHR® Products
- Interior Projects
- Exterior Projects
- Explore Project Ideas
- Learn About BEHR® Paints & Primers
- Learn About BEHR® Wood Stains
- Store Locator
- Contact Us
- About Behr
- Rebate Center
- Color Stories
- Ratings & Reviews
- Masco Brands
This product provides a professional quality, high hide, mildew resistant alkyd finish with excellent stain removal. It is a fast drying, durable semi-gloss enamel that helps protect interior and exterior surfaces against repeated abrasion, rust and a variety of household chemicals.
Available in Select Home Depot Stores
- Medium Base No. 3840 - MSDS
FOR TINT BASE – DO NOT USE WITHOUT THE ADDITION OF TINTING COLORANT.
WHERE TO USE
Properly prepared Interior or Exterior surfaces such as: Wood, Drywall, Plaster, Masonry, Metal, Well-bonded Wallpaper, Brick, Stucco, Aluminum and Cinder Block. Do not use on horizontal surfaces.
4-5 Hr Dry Time; 24 Hr Recoat Time
350-550 Sq. Ft Coverage per Gallon
Mineral Spirits Clean-Up
Protect from Freezing
PREPARATION & PRIME
Proper surface preparation is required
- Allow new stucco, plaster and masonry to cure for 30 days.
- For interior and exterior surfaces, remove dirt, oil and grease stains with a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 990 Concrete & Masonry Degreaser & Cleaner.
- Remove mildew stains with a mildew stain removing product.
- Remove all loose and peeling paint; scuff sand glossy surfaces; caulk; repair imperfections and sand smooth.
- For exterior surfaces, power wash to remove chalk.
- Etch galvanized metal with a product such as BEHR PREMIUM NO. 991 Concrete & Masonry Cleaner & Etcher. Follow all label instructions.
- Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM PLUS® NO. 436 Exterior Multi-Surface Primer & Sealer or BEHR PREMIUM PLUS NO. 434 Oil-Based Primer & Sealer. Follow all label instructions.
- DO NOT THIN. Stir before and during application.
- When working with more than one can of the same product, intermix to ensure color uniformity.
- Use adequate ventilation during application & drying process.
- Certain colors may require more than one coat to achieve complete hide and coverage.
- Use product when air and surface temperature are 40-90˚F (4-32˚C).
- Apply a thin coat using a high quality china bristle brush, 1/4”-3/8” nap roller or an airless sprayer (.013”-.015” spray tip).
- Longer dry time required in cooler temperatures and higher humidity.
- Wait at least 7 days before rinsing or cleaning the surface with a mild, non-abrasive detergent.
- Properly dispose of all soiled rags.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused product contact your household refuse collection service.
WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
WARNING! Sanding or scraping pressure treated lumber may be hazardous; wear appropriate protection.
IMPORTANT! STORAGE AND DISPOSAL: DANGER! Rags, steel wool and waste soaked with this BEHR Oil-Base Semi-Gloss Enamel may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded or stored. To avoid a spontaneous combustion fire, immediately after use, place rags, steel wool or waste in a sealed, water-filled, metal container. Do not store unused product inside the home. For disposal guidance, contact your household refuse collection service, fire department, county or state government environmental control agency.
VENTILATION REQUIRED: To avoid inhalation and combustion hazards (see below), DO NOT use this product unless you can achieve cross-ventilation by opening windows and doors during application and drying.
CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES AND ALKYD RESIN. VAPOR HARMFUL. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Do not breathe vapors or spray mist. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air, wear respiratory protection (NIOSH/ MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) or leave the area. Follow respirator manufacturer’s directions for respirator use. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating. NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal. VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE. Keep away from sparks, heat and open flame. Do not smoke. Vapors are heavier than air, and can travel at floor level to distant ignition sources. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors, high intensity lights and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. Close container after each use. To avoid spontaneous combustion, soak soiled rags and waste immediately after use in a closed, water-filled metal container. WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
FIRST AID: If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately. If you have difficulty breathing, leave area to obtain fresh air. If difficulty continues, get medical attention immediately. In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water
CAUTION: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN – DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
Behr Process Corporation warrants that this product meets Behr’s manufacturing specifications. If this product does not meet these specifications, Behr Process Corporation will, at its option and upon proof of purchase, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product to you or refund the purchase price of this product. This guarantee excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for application or removal of any product; or (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
To consult with a Behr Certified Coatings Professional, call 1-800-854-0133 Ext. 2 (U.S.A. only).