Having to choose between two great options isn’t easy — pizza vs. Chinese food, baseball vs. football, golf vs. little league practice, or laundry vs. anything (OK, that’s an easy one!).
For paint professionals, choosing which paint/characteristic (beauty vs. durability) is most important for a job presents a constant dilemma — especially when the answer is “both.” Here’s the challenge:
- Flat paints create a smooth, matte finish that conceals surface flaws and is easy to touch up when needed but — because they are non-reflective — they have difficulty standing up to repeated cleanings and, therefore, are prone to burnishing and scuffing.
- Higher-sheen paints, on the other hand, are highly reflective and can withstand thousands of scrubbings without burnishing or scuffing. On the downside, they tend to magnify any surface imperfections and are tougher to retouch.
You may be thinking, “Man, it would be great if someone put the best of both coatings into one can.”
Meet your new favorite interior flat paint — BEHR ULTRA® SCUFF DEFENSE™ Interior Paint & Primer! This 100%-acrylic primer and paint offers the best of both worlds — the strength and durability of a high-sheen paint and the smooth-as-silk finish of a flat. The result? A stunning matte surface that’s mar- and scuff-resistant and tough enough to perform in even the highest-traffic areas such as hallways, entryways, and shared residential and commercial environments.
“Part of our role as a paint company is to continuously innovate and improve the painting experience, which is why we created BEHR ULTRA® SCUFF DEFENSE™ Interior Paint & Primer!,” said Behr President Jeff Filley. “This product offers paint professionals, remodelers and general contractors a coating that is unmatched in today’s market. Previously, flat finishes were known to need a little more TLC than other sheens, but BEHR ULTRA® SCUFF DEFENSE™ Interior Paint & Primer eliminates the compromise between the look desired and the durability required.”
With BEHR ULTRA® SCUFF DEFENSE™ Interior Paint & Primer, Behr has raised the bar with this high-performing paint that offers advanced scuff and mar resistance, high hide and burnish resistance, trouble-free stain removal, and outstanding antimicrobial mildew- and mold resistance.
- Scuff/mar resistance — Hard, durable finish resists marks in high-traffic areas
- Antimicrobial-/mildew-resistant — Protects dried paint from mold and mildew
- Excellent stain-blocking — Combats bleed-through, prevents new stains
- Burnish-resistant — Endures frequent cleaning without noticeable increase in gloss/sheen
- Low-VOC (< 50 g/L, excluding colorants) — Meets stringent VOC regulations
- MPI-approved in extra durable flat, eggshell, satin and semi-gloss — Conforms to performance and environmental requirements
- Paint and primer formula — Eliminates need for priming, yet some surfaces may still require it. Check Technical Data Sheet for details.
- Tintable to a full range of colors —Expands color options
BEHR ULTRA® SCUFF DEFENSE™ Interior Paint & Primer is available in five finishes:
- Extra Durable Flat No. 1720
- Eggshell Enamel No. 2750
- Satin Enamel No. 7750
- Semi-Gloss Enamel No. 3750
- Stain-Blocking Ceiling Paint No. 5558
Ideal application for BEHR ULTRA® SCUFF DEFENSE™ Interior Paint & Primer are as follows: