Changing an ordinary step stool into a beautiful décor shelf for plants was a fun and quick project that was surprisingly easy to do. The combination of a darker wood stain and a light paint color on the step stool gave the piece more interest. It was the perfect accent to bring attention to my freshly painted wall.
Behr’s Featured Colors
Step Stool – Stain: Tamarind TIS-005, Paint: White 52
Wall – Paint: Broadway PPU18-20
- Pre-Stain: Behr Premium® Oil-Based Pre Stain Wood Conditioner
- Stain: Behr Premium® Advanced Formula Oil-Based Wood Stain
- Stain Protective Finish: Behr Premium® Fast Drying Oil-Based Polyurethane
- Paint (Stool): Behr Marquee®, 8oz Satin Enamel, White 52
- Paint Wall: Behr Ultra® Scuff Defense, Interior Extra Durable Flat, Broadway
- Paint Brushes, suggest nylon 2” & 1” size
- Sandpaper, use a fine grit so that you don’t scratch the wood
- Cotton Rags / Shop Towels
- Painter’s Tape
- Drop Cloth
- Wood Step Stool
- Mineral Spirits for clean-up
- Optional: Gloves
Tip: When staining, make sure you are in a well-ventilated space. Outside is always best, but if you are in your garage, be sure to work closely by an open door. Make sure to stir thoroughly before using each product.
Step 1 – Prep
Sand entire surface lightly. Wipe away sand dust with a cloth or rag. Use painters’ tape to create the edge for where the stain will stop. Using a nylon brush apply a thin and even coat of pre-stain to bottom area of stool. Let dry.
Step 2 – Apply Stain
Use a nylon brush and apply Oil-Base Stain liberally on the entire bottom section. Let sit for 2-3 minutes then wipe off any noticeable excess with a clean cloth. Let dry for at least 12 hours then apply a thin coat of Oil-Based Poly. Repeat with a second coat of Poly to protect the stain.
Step 3 – Apply Paint
With painters’ tape, tape off the top edges where the stain sits. Use a nylon brush and apply paint to the top area of the stool. If needed, let dry before applying a second coat. Gentle remove tape. You can clean up any messed-up edges with paint if needed.
Decorate with plants, books… anything you want!
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind before starting your stain project:
- If you can’t stain outside, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir product before and during. DO NOT SHAKE.
- After applying product, wait 2-3 minutes, then go back and remove any excess product that has not penetrated into the wood.
- Make sure to let your products dry completely between coats.
- Let everything dry overnight before assembling.
Behr® Interior Wood Stain Products are currently only available in select stores. Find out if it’s available in a Home Depot Store near you. Find a Store. If not available at your local store, order online at TheHomeDepot.com.
For more inspiration on Interior Stain & Paint Projects, visit Behr.com.