Looking for a way to update a dated piece of furniture? This easy DIY project takes you through some simple steps to transform an old coffee table into something unique.
Behr’s Featured Colors
- Stain: Behr® Water-Based Stain & Poly In One, tinted to Vintage Walnut TIS-017
- Paint: Behr Marquee 8oz. Sample, tinted to Celebration MQ4-13A
- Paint Brushes, suggest nylon 2” & 1” size
- Sandpaper, use a fine grit so that you don’t scratch the wood
- Cotton Rags / Shop Towels
- Painter’s Tape
- Drop Cloth
- Old or scuffed up piece of furniture, we used a coffee table
- Optional: Gloves
Tip: When staining, make sure you are in a well-ventilated space. Outside is always best, but if you are in your garage, be sure to work closely by an open door. Make sure to stir thoroughly before using each product (do not shake).
Sand out any rough areas so that you have an even surface to start with. Wipe away sand dust with a cloth or rag.
Apply Stain & Poly
Use a nylon brush and apply Stain & Poly liberally on the entire piece. Let sit for 5-10 minutes then wipe off any noticeable excess with a clean cloth. Let dry for at least 20 minutes. Once dry scuff sand the stain. Wipe away sand dust with a cloth or rag. Apply a second coat of Stain & Poly.
Tape & Apply Paint
With painters’ tape, create a pattern and then fill it in with paint. Gentle remove the tape and let the paint dry.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind before starting your stain project:
- If you can’t stain outside, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir product before and during. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Apply product with the wood grain.
- After applying product, wait 5-10 minutes, then go back and remove any excess product that has not penetrated into the wood.
- Make sure to let your stain dry completely between coats.
- Let everything dry overnight before assembling.
Behr® Interior Wood Stain Products are currently only available in select stores. Find out if it’s available in a Home Depot Store near you. Find a Store. If not available at your local store, order online at TheHomeDepot.com.
For more inspiration on Interior Stain Projects, visit Behr.com.